Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort is nestled high amongst the Great Dividing Range and is the closest downhill ski resort to Melbourne. Located only two and a half hours from Melbourne’s city centre on the edge of the Baw Baw Plateau, the resort offers spectacular views across Baw Baw towards Bass Strait and Western Port Bay. There are colourful wildflowers throughout summer and an abundance of animal life, making it a spectacular year-round destination.
- Nearest Town: Noojee
- Be prepared: All vehicles must carry snow chains during the declared snow season. This is checked at resort entry and enforced. Chains can be hired in advance (Baw Baw Sports & Outdoors in Neerim South, Baw Baw Chain Hire in Noojee or Erica Ski Hire) or at Resort Entry.
- What to bring: Waterproof jacket, pants and gloves, warm base layer (thermals), beanie, sunglasses/goggles. Sunscreen & Lip balm. Long thick socks with waterproof shoes/boots. Scarf or neck warmer. Waterproof gear, gloves and ski and snowboard equipment are available for hire at the Retail and Rental Store on the mountain. Helmets are recommended for all guests when skiing or boarding and are required in any terrain park area or during resort events.
- Accessible: Access available, contact the resort for details
- Parking: There are dedicated day visitors’ carparks at the top of the resort in winter and summer. Overnight guests in winter should relocate their cars to one of the lower carparks. All parks are close to the village with no shuttle needed. There is no charge for parking in summer, however in winter a resort entry fee is charged which includes parking.
- Pets: Dogs and pets are not permitted within the Resort or National Park to ensure the safety of our native wildlife and flora. Service dogs and service animals are permitted within the Resort and National Park
As you travel through the region, you will pass a number of our charming townships. We recommend planning a rest spot in Neerim South and visiting one of the cafes and eateries in town. Plan your journey ahead and be aware of the locations to refuel before heading up to the resort.
Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort
Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort is Melbourne’s closest Alpine Resort and offers a host of experiences all year round.
- Green Season During the green season, Mt Baw Baw offers the ideal location for bushwalking or mountain bike riding. With spectacular views of rolling green hills and breathtaking sunsets that make the whole journey well worth it! Mt St Gwinear, Mt Erica and the Mt Baw Baw Alpine Village are ideal bases to start your bushwalk. A number of the tracks take you through the mountain Ash rainforest and incredible wildflowers displayed throughout the warmer seasons. A longer walk to Mushroom Rocks along the Australian Alps Walking Track is highly recommended. From Mt Baw Baw, you can access the long-distance Australian Alps Walking Track to the ACT. For a full list of walking tracks available at Mt Baw Baw Alpine resort, be sure to visit their website.
- White Season Adventure seekers of all ages will enjoy the action on offer at Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort, with multiple terrain parks, downhill ski runs, snowboarding and plenty of space to indulge in a little snow play or tobogganing. Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort is a great place to learn how to ski and is family friendly so make sure you have your mittens, as building a snowman is a must! During the white season, Mt Baw Baw is a cross-country skier’s paradise with over 30 km of cross-country and snowshoe trails. If you’re new to skiing and snowboarding, Mt Baw Baw’s Snow Sports Centre offers lessons and tuition so that you can get out there and enjoy idyllic alpine scenery. For the more advanced, take a tour from Mt St Gwinear across the Baw Baw Plateau! Within the resort there are a number of warm and welcoming winter accommodation options for families, groups and couples. You can choose from lodge or backpackers’ accommodation, or for something a little more private, hotel rooms and self-contained cabins or apartments are available.
Baw Baw village has a range of modern facilities catering for the day tripper and long-term visitors. With accommodation, ski hire, food outlets, retail, medical & information centres all within easy walking distance of the car parks, the village is an ideal base from which to explore the surrounding area.
There are plenty of activities for the whole family to enjoy. The resort is home to a number of Alpine Dingoes and you can book to have a walk with a dingo experience! Other all year round offerings include the in-ground trampolines, laser tag & archery attack, big air bag, conferences and weddings
For more information on facilities available at Mt Baw Baw Alpine resort, be sure to visit their website.
How to get here
Travelling along the M1 you will head towards Drouin. Follow M1 to Princes Way/C102 in Drouin West. Take the exit towards Neerim Sth/Mt Baw Baw. Travel along Main Neerim Rd through the towns of Neerim and Noojee. When you pass Noojee, you will continue to travel along Mt Baw Baw Tourist Rd/C426 until you enter the Village.
If you need a map we have you covered – https://goo.gl/maps/qh85ST7Qoo4Dgo819
We love visitors here in Baw Baw so come and visit us today!