This site may be affected from the recent weather events. This site is managed by Department Environment Land Water & Planning (DELWP). Stay up to date with reopening times and conditions via the DELWP Facebook page, through the “More to explore” app or get in touch with us via the contact form.
Mount St Gwinear is an accessible snow field located within Baw Baw National Park. This family friendly snow attraction offers free entry which a range of activities including, toboggan runs, cross country trails and plenty of areas for snow play.
- Nearest Town: Erica
- Be prepared: Always make sure to check the conditions before visiting – at times it is necessary to carry or fit snow chains on your vehicle.
- What to bring: We recommend you wear protective glasses or sunglasses as the conditions can be quite glary. Wear appropriate wind and waterproof clothing and footwear. Apply sunscreen to protect yourself from sun glare and/or windburn. Limited hot and cold drinks and snacks are available from a food van on weekends and school holidays. Aim to come prepared with water and some snacks.
- Parking: No charge to enter the park and no charge for car parking
- Pets: Assistance dogs are welcome in Parks Victoria parks and reserves. Entry requirements apply for parks and reserves that are usually dog prohibited, such as national parks.
As you travel along the highway, you will pass a number of our charming townships. We recommend planning a rest spot in Trafalgar and visiting one of the cafes and eateries in town. This is also one of the last few locations to refuel for the drive up.
Mount St Gwinear
Mount St Gwinear is a wonderful day out with the family. There is a basic visitor site within the park, so we encourage all visitors to be self-sufficient. There are a range of activities for all to enjoy at Mount St Gwinear.
Please note: Mount St Gwinear and Baw Baw National Park are managed by Department Environment Land Water & Planning (DELWP). For opening hours please contact (DELWP) on 136 186.
- Tobogganing – There are two toboggan runs. Visitors are advised to hire them from nearby Rawson and Erica. Alternatively, if you intend to bring your own toboggan, remember that only plastic moulded toboggans are allowed on the runs.
- Snowshoeing – Snowshoeing is permitted on the ski trail network. Snow shoes are available to hire from suppliers or BYO. There is a short Winter Walking Track leading to a lookout that starts at the St Gwinear carpark and extends approximately 600m (1.2km return).
- Cross country skiing – Mount St Gwinear offers 12km of cross- country trails, with the first Main Trail departing from the Mount St Gwinear car park. There is a loop that visitors can undertake accessing 5 trails: Cascades Trail, Saints Trail, Tullicoutty Trail and Gwinear Trail.
- Snow camping – Dispersed camping is permitted on the Baw Baw Plateau except in the Reference Area Zone and within 20 metres of streams and alpine bogs.
Mount St Gwinear wonderful place to visit for the day, you may choose to spend the night and have more time to explore the spectacular surrounds. There are exceptional accommodations options available near Mount St Gwinear for all kinds of travellers.
On site there are heated shelter rooms available. The park provides toilets with disabled facilities. Visitors can enjoy two toboggan runs and 12km of cross-country trails. There are also professional ski patrols on site.
How to get here
Mount St Gwinear is located on Mount St Gwinear Road in the Baw Baw National Park.
Please note: The Mount St Gwinear Road is a declared hazardous road during winter (bus drivers require an appropriate licence). Snow chains must be carried during the declared ski season and fitted when and where directed. Chains can be hired from a number of outlets from Rawson and Erica which are the last townships before Mount St Gwinear
You will travel along the M1 towards Moe. Reminder the last opportunity to refuel is within Moe. Take the C103 exit towards Moe/Walhalla. Take a left onto Waterloo Rd, and immediate right to continue on Waterloo Rd. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Saviges Rd, then a right onto Bell St. When you reach the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Moore St/C466. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Moe-Walhalla Rd/C466. Continue a slight left onto Thomson Valley Rd/C481.
The carpark is signposted from the Thomson Valley Road. There is no charge to enter the park and no charge for car parking
If you need a map, we have you covered – https://goo.gl/maps/JLzgywgHgKCnqDCJ7
We love visitors here in Baw Baw so come and visit us today!