Tanjil South is a rural locality in eastern Victoria, 7 km north of Moe. Tanjil, a former gold mining town, was further north in the direction of Mount Baw Baw. Both sites are on the Tanjil River, Tanjil near its headwaters and Tanjil South on river flats.
The name Tanjil was derived from the Tangel pastoral run (1844) and was derived from an Aboriginal word meaning frost or snow.
Tanjil South has maintained an active community, building a new district hall in 1986 and conducting a centenary celebration in 1987 which involved the publication of a voluminous history. In 2014 there were 32 pupils at the Tanjil South school.